- Historic Building
- Former Benskins Brewery Pub
- Renovated by Local Craftsmen
- Village Conservation Area
- Generous Proportions
- Open Fireplace
- Walled Courtyard Garden
- Former Stable now Garage
- 10 Miles from London
- No Onward Chain
A most handsome detached brick house with an air of solidity and substance, standing within the atmospheric Conservation Area of Harrow on the Hill village. A landmark building and formerly a fine Edwardian corner pub, The North Star is a uniquely appealing and generous home, expertly restored by local craftsmen. Retaining the original Benskin's Brewery signage and glazing, with fire roaring in the central fireplace and drink in hand, you can easily imagine yourself relaxing in 1881, when William Pendry is recorded as the first Licensed Victualler.
Offered for sale chain-free, this desirable and substantial property was well converted some 50 years ago to create a 2,000sq/ft home of great interest. Beautifully presented throughout, the central front door opens to a grand entrance hall with the generous dual-aspect living/dining room and well-appointed kitchen/breakfast room off. Tall ceilings and large circulation areas provide an ample sense of space, with a wide landing and 4 spacious bedrooms upstairs. These include a full master suite with separate dressing and shower rooms, plus a family bathroom. Both bathrooms feature underfloor heating, and there is of course an attic above.
Original features are present throughout the building, including the etched glazing of the Saloon Bar and a grand central open fireplace. Other fine and interesting period details abound, such as the beautiful high-grade brass North Star insignia which was lovingly re-made at great cost. Outside, the former stable is now a large garage, accessed via gravelled courtyard with additional parking space.
To the rear is a delightfully private walled courtyard garden and the entire property has been the subject of extensive recent renovations by a specialist restoration company. This included replacement timber-framed windows, full interior re-decoration using Farrow & Ball paints and restoration of timber floors. The owner comments that this magnificent four-bedroom home has been much enjoyed since they acquired it in 1987, and the buyer will be investing in a piece of Harrow on the Hill's long history.
When buying within the village Conservation Area you acquire so much more than the home itself, as the location is a daily delight often described as an oasis due to the peaceful, friendly and cohesive atmosphere. Hill locals know the best green field walks across Church Fields to the nearby Metropolitan Underground & Chiltern Line station or around Harrow School Farm, a place where Sir Winston Churchill no doubt once trod whilst attending Harrow School just around the corner. There are also local shops for day-to-day needs and an excellent Waitrose supermarket at the foot of the Hill.
Viewing of The North Star is essential. Please contact us to book your appointment to view.
ACCOMMODATION (See Floorplan for Room Sizes)
Open-plan Living/Dining Room
Fitted Kitchen/Breakfast Room
En-Suite Shower Room
Enclosed Courtyard Garden
• Harrow on the Hill is a delightful and unique Conservation Area within an attractive, accessible and leafy residential suburb of NW London.
• Often referred to as an “oasis”, the Hill is a calm and peaceful historic village, separated by its steep topography from the surrounding area.
• Excellent rail transport links, with Harrow on the Hill station providing fast access to London on both Underground and Overground lines.
• Metropolitan Line 20 minutes to Baker Street/35 minutes to Aldgate. Chiltern Line 17 minutes to Marylebone.
• Piccadilly Line from South Harrow also gives great options across London, including 45 minutes to Covent Garden and 43 minutes to Heathrow via Turnham Green.
• Local shops include a nearby Waitrose Supermarket, a choice of other major supermarkets and 2 covered shopping centres in Harrow.
• Major road links nearby include the A40(M), M25, M40 and M1. All the London airports are conveniently within reach.
• Education - The area is renowned for its standard of education, with a choice of state, private and church schools. Former PM, Sir Winston Churchill was educated here, at Harrow School.
• Leisure and Recreation - Harrow has a multi-screen Vue Cinema, an abundance of parks and open spaces, cultural centres and sporting facilities including golf courses.
• Dining and Entertaining - There are many options throughout the Borough, with Harrow on the Hill featuring independent coffee shops, cocktail bars and a choice of pub restaurants
Council Tax: Band G
W3W Address: violin.packet.report
Council Tax Band: G (Harrow London Borough Council )